The Staff Senate serves as the representative voice for staff in matters relating to the University, supports staff members in the realization of their full potential at the University and advances University excellence through its efforts.
Staff Senate engages with staff, faculty and the administration in order to develop recommendations and encourage policies that support University staff. Staff Senate responsibilities include:
- Integrating staff into University governance and affairs;
- Facilitating communication between staff, administration, faculty, and other partners;
- Fostering staff development and recognition to support staff retention;
Monitoring University policies, programs and initiatives that impact staff and, when necessary, taking appropriate action, which could include:
- Identifying areas of concern and making recommendations for improvement;
- Working with appropriate offices on grounds to ensure that critical policies, University procedures and program guidelines are clear, transparent and accessible to staff;
- Disseminating information about initiatives, programs and policies that impact staff and sharing resources needed to navigate University systems.
Statement of the Staff Senate against Intolerance
On behalf of the Staff Senate at the University of Virginia and those we represent, we affirm our commitment to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, tolerance, and respect for all persons. We condemn discrimination — whether based on race, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability — and state unequivocally that the mistreatment of any person or group has no place at the University of Virginia.